I want to get bigger triceps. What exercise would you recommend that I try at the gym?
The tricep (short for triceps brachii muscle) is the large muscle at the back of your upper arm. It’s responsible for extending your elbow joint and straightening your arm.
My current favorite exercise is performing drop sets of tricep rope pulldowns (sometimes called the tricep rope extensions). Here’s how you can do it:
- Locate a cable machine at your gym and adjust the pulley so that it’s as high as possible. Use a rope attachment as pictured in the animation below.
- Select an amount of weight that will fatigue your triceps after 8 – 10 repetitions.
- Grip both ends of the rope with thumbs facing up.
- Keep your arms locked in at your sides, and pull the rope down.
- Fully extend your arms and pull the ends of the rope 6 – 12 inches apart at the bottom (for an extra contraction).
- Slowly return to the starting position and complete the remaining repetitions until muscle failure.
- Immediately reduce the weight by one level on the cable machine and complete another set until failure.
- Then, immediately reduce the weight again by one level. Continue until weight amount becomes insignificant.
Once you’re done, take a break and try doing the whole drop set all over again.
While the tricep rope pulldown is a great exercise in and of itself, combining it with the drop set technique will leave your triceps screaming. It’s absolutely great for muscle growth – and I think you’ll be pleased with the results.