One of the great advantages to cooking at home is that you can control what goes into the food you eat. It’s your food and it’s your body.
To take your healthier cooking commitment to the next level, I’d encourage you to experiment with some of these amazing food substitutions. Though recipes might call for unhealthy ingredients, feel empowered to try these delicious and flavorful replacements:
- Bacon: Try Canadian bacon or turkey bacon instead.
- White bread: Whole grain bread.
- White flour: Black beans, drained and rinsed, or whole wheat flour.
- Butter: Unsweetened applesauce, avocado puree, prune puree or just cut the amount of butter in half.
- Cream: Fat-free milk.
- Cream cheese: Low-fat cream cheese.
- Sugar: Unsweetened applesauce, or cut sugar in half and add some vanilla.
- Frosting: Use meringue instead.
- White rice: Brown rice.
- Pasta: Zucchini ribbons.
- Breadcrumbs: Rolled oats.
- Beef: Bison – it’s lower in fat and has more vitamins.
- Ground beef: Ground turkey.
- Sour cream: Greek yogurt.
- Mayo: Mashed avocado.
- Salt: Herbs.
- Soda: Seltzer water.
Do you have any healthy recipe substitutions that you use at home? Let me know in the comments!