I’m curious. What do you buy when you go grocery shopping? I’d love to know!
Your wish is my command!
Actually, my grocery shopping habits have improved greatly over the last few years. I’ve moved away from processed foods, simple carbohydrates, high sugar products and red meat to a healthier diet rich with vegetables, fruits, complex carbs and some lean meat.
In fact, I went shopping yesterday – and took a picture to share my purchases.
Check it out:
Here are the items pictured above:
- Avocados (for my famous guacamole)
- Fresh almond nut butter (which is great for snacking with apples or bananas)
- Black beans
- Butternut squash (for vegetable quesadillas)
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Whole grain cereals
- Whole grain bread
- Cheddar, feta and Cotswold cheese
- Soy milk
- Organic milk (organic milk is healthier and contains much less saturated fat)
- Free-range, organic chicken breast
- Slice turkey meat (for sandwiches)
- Minimally processed chicken patties (my favorite!) by Applegate Farms
- Coconut water (it’s a natural alternative to sports drinks – and has more potassium than a banana!)
- Tortilla chips (for my guacamole)
- Frozen Brussels sprouts
- Frozen adamame
- Vine tomatoes
- Poblano, Anaheim, yellow and Fresno peppers
- Bananas (my favorite pre-workout energy boost)
- Brown rice sushi (for lunch)
- Red onion
As you can see, my shopping cart is filled with lots of (mostly) healthy food choices – but it’s not light on flavor. People often think that eating healthy means eating foods that don’t taste good. I couldn’t disagree more. I truly LOVE eating and think that – through smarter shopping – I manage to select colorful, nourishing items without losing any deliciousness. Moreover, this diet helps fuel my active, high-energy lifestyle and supports my fitness goals.
Were you surprised by anything in my shopping cart? Is there anything you plan on doing differently next time you’re at the market? Let me know in the comments below.